Friday, January 12, 2007

Today's Escalation Update

The good folks at TPMCafe has been doing the legwork. Here are seven of the twenty-one taking the first step. Raising questions or outright opposing escalation.


AGAINST THE SURGE:

Chuck Hagel, (R-NE): “I think this speech given last night by this president represents the most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since Vietnam -- if it's carried out. I will resist it.” [Senate Foreign Relations Committee Testimony, 1/11/07]

Norm Coleman, (R-MN): “My position is very clear…I do not support the surge plan.” [The Marshall Independent, 1/11/07]

Gordon Smith, (R-OR): “These are Iraqi questions that Iraqis must settle. Whether they settle them peacefully or violently, I don’t want American men and women caught in the middle.” [1/9/07]

Susan Collins, (R-ME): “Based on the trip I took to Iraq last month, I concluded it would be a mistake to increase the overall level of troops in Iraq.” [Chicago Tribune, 1/11/07]

Sam Brownback, (R-KS): “I do not believe that sending more troops to Iraq is the answer…Iraq requires a political rather than a military solution.” [Press Release, 1/10/07]

Toe in the water:

Saxby Chambliss, (R-GA): “I firmly believe that a large increase in troops without having a specific mission will only increase insurgent opposition, and that a withdrawal of U.S. forces at this time would be detrimental to Iraqi security.” [The Columbus Ledger-Inquirer, 1/11/07]

John Sununu, (R-NH): “There were some areas where I have a little bit more concern, such as whether or not the use of the troops discussed will really be appropriate in dealing with sectarian violence in Baghdad…” [Senate Foreign Relations Committee Testimony, 1/11/07]

No comments: